my baby car insurance

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

1994-1997 Accord EGR Question?

This is for sure a tech question..





Keep in mind the reason I started looking into my EGR valve was because I had a check engine light on and it gave me a code of 12. When I refereed to my Haynes manual it called for testing of the vacuum and the lift sensor( the EGR valve).





Today, I tested it the way the haynes manual said and according to all tests.. everything is normal except for one oddity. Also keep in mind at this point the check engine light was not on at all the entire time.





Ok.. So I checked for a vacuum from the control.. NONE.


I put 8 inches of mercury vacuum on the EGR valve.. it held the vacuum with no problem. The oddity was that the car was supposed to stall at 8 in/mg .... it did not stall though it did sound like it wanted to.





Anyways.. after doing these tests everything seemed normal.. So with the fact that the check engine light was not on.. does this mean I have an intermittent problem? Also whats the chances of it being electrical?





Has anyone seen these same symptoms before?



The EGR valve only opens at higher engine speeds, not at idle. At higher engine speeds, enough vacuum is created to open this device. The main thing is to either keep the valve clean, or disconnect it entirely. It is used to reduce pollution. You can accomplish more pollution -wise by installing a set of Iridium or Iridium/ Titanium plugs and disconnecting the valve. If there is an electrical connector, then you can't disconnect the valve without triggering the computer. Good Luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment